Copyright and License
OpenStreetMap is open data, licensed under the Open Data Commons Open Database License (ODbL).
You are free to copy, distribute, transmit and adapt our data, as long as you credit OpenStreetMap and its contributors. If you alter or build upon our data, you may distribute the result only under the same licence. The full legal code explains your rights and responsibilities.
The cartography in our map tiles, and our documentation, are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license (CC BY-SA).
How to credit OpenStreetMap
We require that you use the credit “© OpenStreetMap contributors”.
You must also make it clear that the data is available under the Open Database License, and if using our map tiles, that the cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA. You may do this by linking to this copyright page. Alternatively, and as a requirement if you are distributing OSM in a data form, you can name and link directly to the license(s). In media where links are not possible (e.g. printed works), we suggest you direct your readers to openstreetmap.org (perhaps by expanding 'OpenStreetMap' to this full address), to opendatacommons.org, and if relevant, to creativecommons.org.
For a browsable electronic map, the credit should appear in the corner of the map. For example:
Finding out more
Read more about using our data, and how to credit us, at the Legal FAQ.
Our contributors are thousands of individuals. We also include openly-licensed data from national mapping agencies and other sources, among them:
- Austria: Contains data from Stadt Wien (under CC BY), Land Vorarlberg and Land Tirol (under CC BY AT with amendments).
- Canada: Contains data from GeoBase®, GeoGratis (© Department of Natural Resources Canada), CanVec (© Department of Natural Resources Canada), and StatCan (Geography Division, Statistics Canada).
- Finland: Contains data from the National Land Survey of Finland's Topographic Database and other datasets, under the NLSFI License.
- France: Contains data sourced from Direction Générale des Impôts.
- Netherlands: Contains © AND data, 2007 (www.and.com)
- New Zealand: Contains data sourced from Land Information New Zealand. Crown Copyright reserved.
- Slovenia: Contains data from the Surveying and Mapping Authority and Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Food (public information of Slovenia).
- South Africa: Contains data sourced from Chief Directorate: National Geo-Spatial Information, State copyright reserved.
- United Kingdom: Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2010-12.
For further details of these, and other sources that have been used to help improve OpenStreetMap, please see the Contributors page on the OpenStreetMap Wiki.
Inclusion of data in OpenStreetMap does not imply that the original data provider endorses OpenStreetMap, provides any warranty, or accepts any liability.
OSM contributors are reminded never to add data from any copyrighted sources (e.g. Google Maps or printed maps) without explicit permission from the copyright holders.